Saturday, April 24, 2010

Post Camino reflections

I've been back nearly 2 weeks now. People ask me questions about how it was, expecting me to have had some sort of religious or spiritual revelations! I didn't.

For me the main feeling is one of pride, pride that I did it, that I finished and that I carried my own bag all the way. I think that I was an inspiration to several. I was not the oldest on the Camino at that time but I was certainly heading that way. One young German lady asked me how old I was because she wanted to know how much more activity she could look forward to! I was a bit taken aback but I think the fact that I walked fast, at least some of the time, inspired. The pleasure and surprise, that quite a few younger people expressed when they saw me, had nothing to do with my amazing personality but more to do with the fact that I had made it!

I have acquired confidence to carry on with my travel plans, if I can walk the Camino de Santiago (and sleep in Albergue every night) I can do anything.

I have no intention of doing the Camino again but I did lose 12 kilos so if I find myself putting on weight I may have to go back. Not as a pilgrimage but as a long walk, walking is such a good way of seeing a country.

No comments:

Post a Comment