Friday, March 18, 2011

Tales of the unexpected!

I had it all organised!! After changing my itinerary several times I thought I was all set to go, there was just a niggling doubt over the situation in China. There is considerable unrest in the Middle East and there were/are some concerns that this may spread to China. But no. It's not China that is the problem, Japan has suffered the biggest earthquake in history, followed by the biggest tsunami in history, and, as if this is not enough for one country, the tsunami has wrecked a nuclear power plant.

Stories about what may or may not be happening in Japan depend on what one reads or watches, suffice it to say the Japanese are having a hell of a time. I really haven't chosen the best time to go but neither do I intend to cancel my trip. I have spent the last week watching and monitoring the situation very closely. Now it seems that Alitalia is diverting it's flights to Osaka, this is fine by me, I don't know how long for so I now have 2 hotel reservations for the first 2 nights!!

I have cancelled a night in Nikko and I may not get to see Mt. Fuji but so what, it may be covered in cloud anyway:) For my first big trip this is certainly one I will remember, if only for the anticipation and anxiety. I feel very selfish worrying about trivialities when so many are suffering and so many are dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment