Wednesday, October 10, 2012

the journey begins!

I had put my alarm on for 5am then a wonderful friend phoned to say he would take me to the station:) I would have caught the bus, I have done so before but the 3kms walk to the bus stop, in the dark, is not top of my list of pleasures. he saw me to the station, that was nice too. The train was late, I think RENFE, the Spanish train system, is like British Rail, trains generally arrive but may be unpredictable.
I had not foreseen the number of French pilgrims there would be on the train, all about to be looking for a bed for the night, but I got to the hotel first and got a room. One hotel was shut, not sure about the other, I think some people went back to Irun to the Albergue.
It had been raining in Northern Spain but it was warm in Hendaye, so I sat outside with a snack and experienced a bit of France.
My room was next to the bathroom, a mixed blessing, but I did know when the bathroom became vacant and could grab! I got up earlyish, had breakfast and went to the station. My journey was via Bayonne, I passed some beautiful towns and beautiful scenery, I am looking forward to seeing some of them better on the way back.
We had our ID's checked on the train. 2 men came into the compartment, one stayed down the other end and one walked through mumbling something, I heard the word 'security', but not much else, I must have looked very puzzled and very English because when he got to me he said: 'passport, please.' They weren't in uniform they just had armbands that said 'police' but they looked very mean, not the sort to argue with. I'm not sure if they were looking for someone special or just for illegals.
When I arrived in Toulouse I had time to look around, and to get my credencial and to get some more info on the camino.
Toulouse cathedral.

The basilica of St Sernin

The way out, over the old bridge and by the first Pilgrim hospital!

The first arrows!

The morning had been beautiful, ideal walking weather but the afternoon got very warm and sultry.  There was a political demonstration when I arrived, good to see the French aren't happy either.

In the evening, a rather strange man took the bunk above mine, he walked around all evening in nothing but a towel and he snored!
It was a noisy night, we left the window open as it was very hot. I was afraid to use my earplugs in case I didn't wake up in time. I got up at 6.15 and planned to get beakfast on the way to the station but I got lost instead and only just made the train.Today is a day of searching for my past, or my family's past. I had an intereting morning in Septfond, being driven around by the mayor! He is very proud of the town's history.
The day started clear in Toulouse but soon became misty, I had an 8 kms walk to Septfond, down the side of a busy road and without anything reflective, still I made it. The afternoon is warm and sultry again.
I lost my 'Ventolin' somewhere today, probably the Mayor's car! I was a bit worried but the pharmacist had no problem selling me one, that wouldn't happen in England!
At Montauban station there were 8 SNCF staff checking tickets as we got on the train, shades of 'Orient Express' but not so polite! They were backed up by 3 security guards, very strange.
Tomorrow it all starts properly, another early start as I will take the train to the edge of town, beyond the airport etc. Here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment