Thursday, March 4, 2010

Becoming legal!

Tuesday 29th September 2009

I'm settling into my new home. Today I went to pay my rates, I've owned the house for 16 months and this is the first time I've paid anything. I have to pay on both properties, which seems a bit much, but it only came to about £100 for 2 years so I mustn't grumble!! Then I went off to do a big shop and get myself a TV that works properly.


Thursday 1st October 2009

I plan to start legalising my car but I'm worrried about the itv (the Spanish MOT), I only have one warning triangle and I'm not sure what they look for at the itv. Unfortunately the local petrol station has run out of triangles.

Friday 2nd October 2009

Went searching for a triangle, all the petrol stations seem to have run out, one suggested going to a town called Maceda because they had some. Unfortunately they had sold out too. After a long detour and lots of road works I ended up in Ourense and managed to buy a second triangle. By this time it was too late to get my itv, or at least I thought it would be, actually they are open in the afternoon. Anyway it was as well I went home as the electrician came to upgrade my power, so now I can have 2 things on at the same time!


Monday, 5th October 2009

I went to Ourense for my itv but I needed some other papers first. I needed a certificate of 'empadronamiento' from my Town Hall and a 'ficha reducida' from a technical engineer. I was given a phone number of the technical engineer and an appointment for the following Friday for my itv. I phoned the engineer straight away and he arranged to meet me outside the University, he said to park on the pavement if necessary; it was! He arrived quickly, took various numbers from the car body and photocopied my car registration document. He said the certificate would be ready for me to pick up on Friday morning. As I was in Ourense I decided to go to the police station to see what papers I needed for a 'residencia'. The police station was very busy and there were notices on the doors about needing an appointment, as I was only seeking information I decided to go in anyway. I joined a short queue at a desk and when I said 'residencia' I was given a number and told that I would go to desk 2. The hall was big and full of people but desk 2 had a different number system and I was only two numbers off being seen. A certificate of 'residencia' lasts 5 years, once again I would need a certificate of 'empadronamiento' and to complete a request form.


Tuesday, 6th October 2009

I went to the Town Hall to ask for the certificate. Estelle knew nothing about it (I'm the only foreigner around here), but after a few phone calls and photocopying my passport and identity document she said they would be ready on Thursday.


Thursday, 8th October 2009

I collected my certificate from the Town Hall, it cost nothing! This is the only piece of paper I have had here which has been free.


Friday, 9th October 2009

I went to Ourense to collect the 'ficha reducida', this cost me 105 euros! As I was in Ourense I went back to the police station, where i was able to collect my 'residencia' after I had paid 10 euros to a bank across the road.

Once again I went off for my itv. I had an appointment for 13.15, it was still early but it was as easy to wait there as elsewhere. In fact I queued in the office for over an hour, then my papers were photocopied, I paid 75.85 euros and I was given a new time of 13.30, by that time it was 13.40 anyway.

The itv is awful, apart from the fact that I was very nervous as my car had done a lot of miles, you have to sit in the car whilst it's tipped and turned and they call instructions to you, which are not always easy to understand. I finally left at 14.45, my car had passed but I would have to return the following week for the papers, and no-one had looked at my triangles!

Friday, 16th October 2009

I picked up the papers from the itv centre. I was told I would have to take them first to my local Town Hall and then to the 'Jefatura provincial de trafico' in Ourense.

Tuesday, 20th October 2009

I took the car papers to the Town Hall, this time I paid 8.65 euros.

Wednesday, 21 st October 2009

Back to Ourense to the 'Jefatura'. The girl at the information desk had missed out on the charm class, she was the only person I found to be rude and unhelpful. She gave me a form to request car registration and asked why I had not been to the tax office, the answer was probably because no-one had told me that I needed to! She then told me where to go. I had not been aware until this moment that I was actually asking for car registration! I went to the Tax Office, where the queues were small and the staff were helpful. I was told that if I were to go to the British Consulate and get a Residence Transfer Certificate I would not have to pay tax on my car. So, back home.


Thursday, 22nd October 2009

An internet search tells me that there is an honorary Vice Consul in Vigo but that requests have to go via Madrid, my first email got an automated reply which I found off putting, but eventually I made contact and they were quick and efficient. The Vice Consul phoned me and we made an appointment for Monday morning.

Monday,26th October 2009

A trip to Vigo; this is a 2 hour journey from here. The Residence Transfer cost me 143 euros, the cost varies according to a fluctuating pound! I'm not sure what the import tax would have been, but I am now acquainted with my local Vice Consul, she's Spanish which surprised me.

Friday, 30th October 2009

The week has been busy with builders and electricians, so this is my first opportunity to return to Ourense. I got to the Tax Office to find I had left my specs at home. The journey to Ourense takes over an hour so I didn't feel inclined to return home! I sat trying to complete a tax form that I could barely see, something about small print! Eventually, almost in tears I begged for help. The office was quiet and they were very good to me. i had to pay 0.50 euros and was then able to leave with the correct papers and take them to the 'jefatura'. There I had to pay another 90 euros and leave the papers until Monday.!!


Monday, 2nd November 2009

Today I collected my new 'permiso de circulacion' and my new car registration number, I then went next door and had new number plates made up.

Wednesday, 4th November 2009

Back to the Town Hall, they know me very well now! Final bit of paper now done. Off to insure my car.

That's enough paperwork for the time being; there's still the question of my driving licence but I'll worry about that next year; I'll wait untill the speeding endorsements have expired!


No comments:

Post a Comment