Friday, June 3, 2011

Chengdu and Kunming

Thursday
I had a good nights sleep, managed to get a photo of, what I think was, the Hwang ho.

I had booked a pick-up at the station in Chengdu, he wasn't there when I arrived but I didn't have to wait long. How anyone drives in China I don't know, no one seems to obey any rules, least of all the cyclists. This was my first night in a hostel, I was at Sim's Cozy Garden, it was lovely, had nice seating areas outside.

I found hostels were much more friendly and accomodating than hotels. this one had a restaurant, a bar and loads of computers, not free here but at 10 yuan for 10 minutes not bad either. It was very hot, already very hot at 08.00 when I arrived, it also seemed to be very polluted, more so than Beijing.
Wengshu monastery
I went for a walk and found an interesting, re-vamped 'historical'area and Wengshu Monastery. Like all temples the streets around were full of shops selling incense and buddhas.
The monastery garden
Several people spoke to me but no-one tried to sell me anything. I then spent a lazy afternoon in the garden, reading a book.
Friday, 29th April
Up early, breakfast and off to see the pandas. There were 8 of us in a mini-van, well worth paying the 90 yuan because the temperature was still in the 30's. I would never have coped with finding buses. I videoed the pandas playing!

I had lunch back at the hostel and then went for the train to Kunming. The picture below is a 'soft-sleeper' and the frilly curtains in the corridor.
Paddy fields, viewed from the train.


When I arrived in Kunming I went to get my ticket for Guilin. There was no notice saying that there was an English speaking window, and I didn't expect one, so I queued for 20 minutes only to be sent to window 2, I queued another 20 minutes and got my ticket. It was May Bank Holiday weekend and very busy. I went to the Hostel then went for a walk to a park. There were people dancing, some in regional dress and others not.
I managed to get totally lost in the Park and the sun was hot, eventually I got back to the hostel found a book to read and a shady spot and relaxed.
Sunday, 1st May
When I asked what time breakfast was served the first answer was; 'All day', when I asked what time it started she said; '11'. I thought this was rather late, but when I got up I had a snack from my bag and went to look for the Pagodas. I found, not only the pagodas, but what seems to be the old part of town. There were thick walls and tables ready for a street party!

There were also stages up, this weekend being 'A Cultural and Tourism' weekend. For some reason my camera batteries died, I had just changed them and I was sure I had re-charged the spares, so this was a little worrying.I returned to the Hostel at 09.00 and found breakfast definitely being served so I had a second breakfast. I wanted to buy some more tea, I bought tea bags in Shanghai but these had run out, I contemplated going to Carrefour on the way to the station, the alternative was to attempt a tea shop! My train from Kunming to Lijiang was at 23.02, hard sleeper, fortunately I could sit in the hostel and finish my book. I returned to the Pagoda area in the afternoon and saw some of the dancing, but there were so many people it was difficult to see well and all the explanations were in Chinese, so I didn't know where the people were from. They had a display of embroidery and some leaflets.


I was given a booklet, in Chinese, but with nice pictures, which said it was from 'Ancient town of Yi nationality, Yunnan Province.' and a hand embroidered decoration. I realised that, in both Chengdu and Kunming, I was not bothered to buy, but this was the first, and only, time anyone gave me anything.
On the way back to the hostel I walked past a series of musical instrument shops where people were having lessons, I also walked past a dentist, ground floor, plate glass windows! I don't think I'd chose that dentist!
The Bank of China was open, despite the fact that it's Sunday, May 1st. People seem to work any day, and often everyday.











































































No comments:

Post a Comment