Saturday, October 8, 2011

camino portugues

Wednesday, 5th October



I arrived in Oporto. I got up at 05.30 to walk to the bus stop, I saw lots of stars, even a shooting star, not sure if I saw the Milky Way, the journey was uneventful and when I got to Oporto I went to the Cathedral to get my `credencial´. It was very informal, they have them there already stamped.
Ling met me at the Cathedral and we walked back to the hostel via the beginnings of the Camino.


Thursday, 6th October - Day 1 - Oporto to Vila do Conde
We got up lateish as we were having breakfast at the hostel then we took the metro to Mercado. We started walking at 9.30. The route was well signed and we had no problems to start with. It was a sunny day with very strong winds. There were plenty of people and kiosks close to Matosinhos but as we walked further away many kiosks were closed and some had signs saying they would close shortly. I planned to stop for coffee at about 11 but it was 11.15 when I found a bar open, this was at Praia do Courgo. I then decided that I would stop for lunch at about 1pm but I was sorely tempted before that as I passed some kiosks selling sardines and they smelt gorgeous. I hoped there would be more further on but I was unucky.
After Praia de Courgo we walked through a small fishing village with bright coloured houses, the beach was piled with lobster pots and the fishermen were mending their nets, the sea was far too rough for fishing.

There were no places for topping up my water supply and I ran out of water, I was very dehydrated when we arrived in Vila do Conde. We went to the Tourist Office first to find out where to stay, then to the Pension, then I went to the Post Office by which time I was past caring if I drank or not. Eventually I found a shop and bought, and drank, 2 bottles of squash. We bought a pineapple as well and then stayed in for the evening.
It was a very noisy night, the Portuguese are like the Spanish they don´t seem to sleep. Ling at Vila do Conde



7th October - Day 2 - Vila do Conde to Rates +/-15 kms
A very short day. We left Vila do Conde along the river but there were roadworks it was not pleasant. There were no arrows to follow at first, I was desparate to get onto the proper Camino. Eventually an elderly lady gave me instructions, I felt very re-assured but I didn´t want to stop until I hit the proper camino. I got to Rates at 11.00 which was a bit early but it was lovely to get my boots off and have a drink. The bar also had internet so we could both access our emails whilst we waited.

We went to the Albergue at 2pm to find a sign saying it opened at 16.00 but the lady in the shop gave me a key, it was strange letting ourseves in and a bit difficult finding the sleeping area, which was up a flight of stone steps, but eventually we got sorted. Then 2 German girls arrived, it was only us 4 until late evening when suddenly loads of people arrived, then about 12.30am there was a mass invasion of cyclists all searching for empty bunks and flashing torches and talking, those of us who were asleep were not amused.

The inner view of the albergue
The sitting area in the Albergue at Rates

No comments:

Post a Comment