Sunday, October 9, 2011

camino Prtugues continued

Day 3 - Rates to Portela 25kms
The cyclists got up at 7am, they did this fairly quietly but with torches, so we all woke up. I decided to get up too. I left at 7.30 and walked to Pedro Furada, 5kms, for breakfast. Then on to Barcelos, a lovely little town.



Finally on to Portela. A lovely albergue. only 2 years old, when I arrived at 2pm there were 2 German ladies just in front of me, we read the sign saying it opened at 3pm so we sat to wait, at 2.30 a young man appeared and pointed out that the door was open! The Hospitalera cooked soup, Ling had prepared food for 4 of us and a Portuguese chap cooked as well so we had a super communal meal. I came out of it very well, I had bought a bottle of wine and drunk half, when I went for the rest it had dissappeared, they had put it in the meal! So they organised another, better, bottle of wine for me. There are 2 Portuguese men, I haven´t discovered the name of one but the other is called Vasco de Gama!!!
I have a blister on the sole of my right foot but it doesn´t seem to be bothering me much. Tne weather is still warm, too hot to walk much in the afternoon. Lots of lovely people.

Day 4 Sunday, 9th October - Portela to Ponte de Lima 25 kms
We had a peaceful night, I left the windows open behind the blinds and the blinds kept tapping but no-one made any protest! We were woken by the church bells at 7am so we all got up. I had a box of chocolate drink and an apple and was ready to start at 7.45. It was a lovely walk but there were very few places to stop for a drink. At 10.30 I walked past a church and filled my water bottle from a fountain, then a few metres later I found a Bar and had a coffee and a kind of `pain-au-chocolat´. Vasco and his friend were already there, I knew they hadn´t passed me, apparently they had used the road because the friend had blisters!
Ponte de Lima is a lovely town, there was a kind of `flea market´or `car boot sale´by the river.

On Sundays I like to have a proper lunch, and, as the albrgue didn´t open until 5pm,. I found a nice Restaurant, had a lovely meal and sat and people watched. There is obviously a coach load of Brits around, probably SAGA. I may manage to investigate a bit more but I mustn´t hog the computer so I´ll stop this.

No comments:

Post a Comment