Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Holiday! Camino backwards!

I'm on holiday! It seems strange to be excited about a holiday when I am retired and don't do much anyway, but this is a lie by the swimming pool holiday :) Very different from my usual breaks which are hard work, walking or just travelling.
I stopped for a picnic lunch by the Minho and played the summer game of watching the smoke rise! No-one came to put it out so maybe it was meant to be there! It doesn't show well on the photo but it was to the right!


I noticed there was quite a bit of foam along the edge of the river, maybe the Minho is in need of a good clean!



The place I stopped at, in Portugal, had a restaurant and, what looked like, an old bar but both were close and falling into disrepair.  After lunch I carried on but as I passed Caminha I saw signs of a Medieval Fair, so I stopped. Unfortunately the Fair was no more, it was on last week. They were clearing it away.








Caminha is a beautiful little town, I am glad I was given a reason to stop. There were a few tourists, mostly Dutch and Scandinavian. I saw a couple of pilgrims as well. It is strange to drive for a couple of hours over a stretch that takes a week to walk!
After Caminha there was a sign for foreigners to drive off the road, I did so and was asked where I was going, when I said I was only going to Viana I was allowed to continue, just given a leaflet, which, I confess, I have left in the car and haven't read. It isn't normal these days to be stopped for customs between Schengen countries!
It was very hot driving, I have a very red left arm as it was by the window! It was good to get to the hotel and sit by the pool, or even, in the pool. In the evening I went for a walk around the town, it has a lovely old town as well, though not as pretty as Caminha. I was intrigued by the Post Boxes and telephone boxes, I'm sure Britain had no major influence in Portugal, or maybe we did.




There is a sanctuary at the top of the hill, fortunately there is some kind of transport system that goes up there, so that is a trip for tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment