Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Viana do Castelo

Tuesday,
It was cloudy and misty this morning, a sea fret I think. It was cool and pleasant for walking around so I went to look for signs of the Camino. I couldn't find any!  I went to the Youth Hostel, which is the Albergue here, I believe, but there were no signs of arrows, all I can find are different coloured 'footprints.' there are green ones leading to the Youth Hostel and there are blue and yellow ones but I am sure that the yellow ones are going in the wrong direction. I walked some way over the bridge, on the principle that pilgrims must use that to get here. I assumed there would be some sign at this end but there is nothing.
The bridge is one of Eifel's, the road runs on top and the railway underneath.


As I couldn't find any camino I was planning to go up to the Sanctuary but the little railway wasn't running, it was being mended. This was probably just as well as there was still a lot of mist so I would not have had a good view. Instead I went to the Museum of Local Dress and then back to the hotel to sunbathe a bit before lunch.
I had lunch in a nice little restaurant near the hotel, for dessert I had cheese which was served with 'membrillo' (quince jelly) here it is called 'mermelada'! Just another way of confusing us poor Brits.
I am going to have a relaxing evening, all this sun and rest is tiring me out:) On TV I have the choice of news in 5 languages and it is astonishing how news varies between the languages, BBC World News has a very different slant on the Spanish financial crisis than the one I have been getting in Spain, I wonder which one is right!

No comments:

Post a Comment