Friday, March 14, 2014

Camino Catalan

12th March
I was spared the early rise and long walk to the bus stop because Alfredo took me to the train station in A Rua, thus saving a couple of hours on the journey as well. There's not much I can say about the journey except that it was long. It took 10 hours, though the journey back will take much longer :-)
13th March

I got my credencial at the archbishop's office, next to the cathedral  and visited the cathedral.

 after that I went to buy new boots. This is really sad. I have lovely comfy boots that I bought in England in August and I have been breaking them in. Unfortunately the left one has a fault and lets in water. When it is wet my left foot feels like its paddling in a swimming pool! These new ones seem comfy but the sole isn't as bouncy or maybe it's just that the pavements of Barcelona are hard work. I'm really keen to get started.

March 14th
After a very noisy and disturbed night I got up early and set off.  I'd planned a touristy day,  though the most important part was to go to El Port de la Selva whilst the tourist office was open and to get my stamp. I achieved this and got some info but in fact the highlight of the day was lunch. I found a wonderful restaurant in Figueres but forgot to take note of the name:-( They served a 'menu del dia' at the same price as the other restaurants but the meal was completely different. I think it would be described as Asian fusion but may be wrong. The restaurant was small but very busy with well heeled and well dressed Catalans. If I knew the name I would recommend it to anyone who was planning to visit Figueres!
I'm spending the night in Llanca, 8 kms from El Port de la Selva. This is my first visit to the Costa Brava, being a tourist snob it is not somewhere I would choose to visit, but I have been agreeably impressed, I have not seen one 'Red Lion' pub or one fish and chip shop. In fact the main visitors seem to be French as we are only a few kilometers from the border.
Tomorrow I start walking, I've been told that it will be very windy tomorrow, the Tramuntana that blows down off the mountains.





1 comment: