Tuesday, October 5, 2010

away again (on the way)

Wednesday, 29th September


Off to Germany for a week, via London! When I bought my ticket for today I knew there was going to be a general strike in Spain but I thought: 'That won't affect planes!!!' Then I remembered Air traffic Controllers! So I've been worrying about this flight for a while. Ryanair forgot about ATC as well and only thought about baggage handlers! Initially they said hand luggage only on all flights, this wasn't a problem as I only intended to take hand luggage. Suddenly the evening before they announced that most flights would be cancelled. They had a whole page of cancellations!!! I went through the list and my flight wasn't there! I went through the list again and again but no sign of my flight. I even got up early in the morning to check again but no sign of my flight being cancelled, I really couldn't believe this but I went to the airport and it showed my flight as coming in early! It didn't of course, ATC made it fly around for half an hour. Only 2 flights from Santiago showed as not being cancelled and one was mine, I really could not believe that I should be so lucky but I was and I got to London on time.



I made my way to Alton without problems, there I started by going to Sainsbury's, where I went totally mad, buying things like Christmas pud and custard powder! (My case was full of fruit and veg rather than clothes, it's now full again and I still have no clothes) After Sainsbury's I got lost and walked around in the rain for more than half an hour but eventually I found the house and could dry off and relax.



Thursday, 30th September

Back to London to get the train to Sheffield. I had to cross London from Waterloo to St Pancras. I had studied the Underground map and decided on my route. More particularly I decided not to take the Jubilee line as it is such a long walk. So what do I do, I go straight to the Jubilee line, 10 minutes later I get to the tube station! At Green Park I get off and there I heard an announcement saying that due to a suspected emergency all passengers must leave the station immediately! So there I was at Green Park with about 30 minutes to get to St Pancras, not good. I started walking to Picadilly Circus but realised that this was not necessarily a good idea so I got a taxi. I haven't been to St Pancras since it became the International Station, when I got back and saw it from the other angle I could see that it is very well done but arriving via the International entrance and with only a few minutes to spare it was very confusing, but I made it. I had a lovely day in Sheffield and had lunch with Jason. I was able to get rid of a bag of fruit and veg! A good opportunity to share the produce of my land with my sons, or one of them anyway!
The journey back to Alton was uneventful and I managed not to get lost this time.

Friday 1st October
Back to London again, this time with all my luggage, I looked for left luggage but 'left luggage' at Waterloo costs £8 so I gave up on that idea and carted my case around with me. It was pouring with rain and very windy! I had a lovely lunch with Aidan and then we did the tourist thing and walked to Trafalgar Square, down the Mall, across Green Park and back down Picadilly. I took Aidan into Fortnum and Mason! It has changed a bit from how I remember it, not quite so impressive I think.
I know we often went to London when the boys were young but it seems to be a long time since Aidan went, and this was his first time as an adult.
When we parted I went to the Festival Hall for a concert ( Faure, Saint-Saens and Stravinsky) . It's the second time this year that I have been to a concert simply because it was the only thing on when I was in London, in July I went to a Prom and heard Shostakovitch, to my surprise I really enjoyed both concerts, I'm widening my horizons in my old age!
After the concert it was off to Stansted to spend the night. I bought a small bottle of wine and some 'sushi' in Waterloo on my way through, and had a late supper! Then I made the mistake of trying to sleep in the departure area at the airport, I hadn't realised how busy it is during the night! Next time I'll stay in arrivals!!! When I arrived I planned to change my clothes but found that the clothes in my case were as qwet as the ones I was wearing, I must have pulled my case through every puddle in London.

No comments:

Post a Comment